Staff of Parthalan

Posted on by

This is the staff of Parthalan we made from the game Dragon Age 2.  The following illustration is how I made it.  I have made 2 now so if you see slight differences in the pictures along the way it is because they are mixed from both builds.  Sorry if the article jumps around a bit as well.  The reason for this is as things are drying I would be working on another part.  During the build I do use proper personal protection such as safety glasses and dust mask if necessary.  Please be careful when working with power tools!

The first thing we start out with is a 1.5″ by 48″ dowel rod and flattened 6 sides on one end.

DSC04294.JPG DSC04295.JPG DSC04297.JPG

For the opposite or “orb” end I needed a way to take the end off and on easily and also conceal a light source.  In this instance I use a single AA LED flashlight which you will see later.  I found a BBQ sauce bottle top worked nice.

DSC04298.JPG DSC04299.JPG DSC04300.JPG

After carefully using progressively larger and larger drill bits, a boring bit, and the sanding barrel on my Dremel tool I was ready to attach the top using Gorilla Glue.

DSC04301.JPG DSC04302.JPG

For the blade I used 1/2″ thick exercise mat foam.  Using a paper template I traced a pattern on the foam so I could cut it out.  Make sure you flip the template over for the 2 pieces so they will line up.

DSC03539.JPG DSC04303.JPG DSC04304.JPG

To give the foam blade rigidity I used a couple of steel rods and bent them so they would not interfere with the split in the middle of the blade.  I lightly spray painted over them while in place so I would know where to notch the foam for the rods to sit in before gluing the 2 halves together.

DSC04306.JPG DSC04307.JPG DSC04308.JPG

After gluing the 2 halves together I used different shaped bits on the Dremel tool to smooth the edges and create the notch down the center of the blade.  To give the blade an edge I very, VERY carefully used a bench grinder.  If not done properly this can cause you to have to start all over.

DSC04309.JPG DSC04310.JPG DSC04311.JPG

Back to the staff.  With a combination of a couple of different saws and a sander I created the warped  and worn look of the staff.

DSC04321.JPG DSC04322.JPG

To create the look of rivets holding the splits in the wood together I used a Dremel bit that had a hole in the end.

DSC04323.JPG DSC04324.JPG

Using a wood burning tool I added “stress fractures” to the wood, hit it with a hammer and bounced it a few times on the grinding wheel to make it look like it had seen fights.

DSC04325.JPG

Now we start to have some fun.  I took a section of 2 x 4 and using a boring bit and Dremel tool to make the hole big enough, I used Gorilla Glue to insert and hold the BBQ sauce bottle top.

DSC04326.JPG DSC04327.JPG

After the glue dried I cut and sanded to create a base for the orb to be attached to.  I also drilled 4 holes and glued in 4 sections of copper wire to use for the “fingers” of the base that holds the orb.  The copper adds a bit of strength and work-ability while the Apoxysculpt cures.  The orb is made of cracked glass and came off of a solar powered lawn light.

DSC04336.JPG DSC04337.JPG DSC04338.JPG

For the fingers I used Apoxysculpt.  Once mixed you have about 3 hours of working time which can be real nice in some situations.  It takes about 24 hours to fully cure and is quite hard afterwards.

DSC03591.JPG DSC03592.JPG DSC04340.JPG

Time to bring the wood to life.  Using stains and paints we give the staff some color and aging.  All the imperfections we added to the staff  on purpose really start to stand out here.

DSC04344.JPG DSC04345.JPG DSC04346.JPG

DSC04347.JPG DSC04349.JPG DSC03632.JPG

DSC03633.JPG DSC03634.JPG DSC03635.JPG

I found some red translucent model paint at the hobby store.  This not only gives it a nice color but allows the flashlight to shine through brightly.

DSC04351.JPG DSC04352.JPG

Here is one of those points where the pictures are going to jump back.  I wanted to show that I created a notch at the end of the staff for the blade to sit in.  I also drilled holes down the staff for the steel reinforcement rods we used in the blade to go down into.  Sorry I do not have a good picture of this.

DSC03580.JPG

The blade gets coated more than once in Plasti-Dip, primered, then painted.

DSC04339.JPG DSC04350.JPG DSC03597.JPG

We’re on the home stretch now.  I used Gorilla glue to attach the blade to the staff.  I devised a way to hold the blade in place while the glue setup.

 DSC03630.JPGDSC03629.JPGDSC03631.JPG

Using ribbon from a fabric store and some industrial spray adhesive I put the bands around the staff that appear on the model in the game.

DSC03638.JPG DSC04353.JPG DSC03639.JPG

And there you have it!  Below you will also find a video explaining how I did stuff as well as additional photos.  If you want to see the staff with the outfit hop over to the Female Hawke page and check it out.

 

 

 

DSC03537.JPGDSC03539.JPGDSC03553.JPGDSC03591.JPGDSC03592.JPGDSC03595.JPGDSC03596.JPGDSC03597.JPGDSC03598.JPGDSC03599.JPGDSC03600.JPGDSC03620.JPGDSC03621.JPGDSC03622.JPGDSC03623.JPGDSC03624.JPGDSC03629.JPGDSC03630.JPGDSC03631.JPGDSC03632.JPGDSC03633.JPGDSC03634.JPGDSC03635.JPGDSC03638.JPGDSC03639.JPGDSC03640.JPGDSC03644.JPGDSC03662.JPGDSC03664.JPGDSC03665.JPGDSC03675.JPGDSC04294.JPGDSC04295.JPGDSC04297.JPGDSC04298.JPGDSC04299.JPGDSC04300.JPGDSC04301.JPGDSC04302.JPGDSC04303.JPGDSC04304.JPGDSC04305.JPGDSC04306.JPGDSC04307.JPGDSC04308.JPGDSC04309.JPGDSC04310.JPGDSC04311.JPGDSC04312.JPGDSC04321.JPGDSC04322.JPGDSC04323.JPGDSC04324.JPGDSC04325.JPGDSC04326.JPGDSC04327.JPGDSC04336.JPGDSC04337.JPGDSC04338.JPGDSC04339.JPGDSC04340.JPGDSC04344.JPGDSC04345.JPGDSC04346.JPGDSC04347.JPGDSC04348.JPGDSC04349.JPGDSC04350.JPGDSC04351.JPGDSC04352.JPGDSC04353.JPGDSC03579.JPGDSC03580.JPGDSC03581.JPG

Leave a Reply